Thursday, December 24, 2009

Homeless Man Receives Jar in Rochester NY

I have seen this homeless man over a hundred of times sitting in Greece town mall in Rochester NY. He never bothers anybody, he just sits on a bench inside the mall either near Sears or Bon Ton. He is there anytime of the day and everyday. Luckily no one has ever thrown him out because he is not trouble. Over the last year I have asked about him and all anybody knows is that his name is Dale.
When Laurie told me about the Christmas jar I knew immediately it would Dale that would receive my jar. There was something about Dale that told me he was very special. I still do not know what it is, but there is something and one day I will find out.
Anyway.... today I set out to the mall to find him, he was not in his usual place. I was afraid with the craziness of the mall a day before Christmas, Dale might have not come. I asked a custodian if he knew Dale and he did after I described him. I found him by Sears on a bench sleeping sitting straight up. Crowds of people hustling to buy last minute gifts were bustling by him not even noticing him. I patiently waited 10 minutes until he woke up and then I proceeded to walk up to him in a mist of people and I tapped him on his shoulder from the back (so he would not see my face) him. He looked up, I whispered in his ear Merry Christmas Dale, you are a special person.I then disappeared into the crowd of crazy shoppers.
As I was walking through the mall to my car, I was watching hundreds of crazed shoppers doing last minute shopping and purchasing gifts for no other reason except that they were "suppose to" and realizing that if every person in the mall at that one time gave a Christmas Jar to some one in need, maybe...just maybe this time of year would not be stressful it would be joyous.
I can't wait to next year, my new jar is already started.

No comments:

Post a Comment